Central Plains Center for Bioassessment
Continuation of Nutrient Criteria Efforts in USEPA Region 7: Documenting Lake and Stream Analyses and Assembling a Wetland Database
|Date||January 2004 - December 2007|
|Location||Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri|
CPCB faciltated and created databases for the Nutrient Criteria Workgroup, also called the "US EPA Region 7 Regional Technical Assistance Group", which works together to establish nutrient criteria for lakes, streams, and wetlands of the US EPA Region 7 and the Central Plains Region.
The Region 7 Lake Nutrient Criteria document is completed and available below. During the lake meetings, the RTAG developed a list of reference lakes located in USEPA Region 7.
- USEPA RTAG7. 2011. Nutrient Reference Condition Identification and Ambient Water Quality Benchmark Development Process, Freshwater Lakes and Reservoirs within USEPA Region 7. US Environmental Protection Agency Regional Technical Advisory Group, Region 7, Kansas City, KS. 42 pp. (pdf)
- List of reference lakes.
- Guidelines to select reference lakes.
- Lake database (xls)
- Dzialowski, A.R., S.H. Wang, N.L. Lim, J.H. Beury, and D.G. Huggins. 2008. Effects of sediment resuspension on nutrient concentrations and algal biomass in reservoirs of the Central Plains. Lake and Reservoir Management 24(4):313-320.
Map of lakes in USEPA Region 7 RTAG database, with Omernik Level III ecoregions.
- Slide presentation of RTAG work (pdf)
- Stream database (MSAccess)
- CPCB Nutrient/Reference Streams Project Page
- Thresholds in macroinvertebrate biodiversity across water quality gradients in central plains lotic ecosystems, M.A. Evans-White, W. Dodds, D. Huggins, D.Baker, NABS 2008 (pdf)
- Evans-White, M.A., W.K. Dodds, D.G. Huggins, and D.S. Baker. 2009. Threshold patterns in aquatic biodiversity across water quality gradients in Central Plains streams and rivers. J. N. Am. Benthol. Soc. 28(4):855–868.